Love is not visible to the eyes but to the soul - Shakespeare

Thursday 11 April 2013

Anne of Green Gables


 Some of my favourite books are the Anne of Green Gables-books. They have comforted my many times when I was younger and I really think that these were the primary reason why I wanted to study literature and write myself. 
I still remember my first 'meeting' with them. I was working at the school library as the one who puts all the returned books into place, and somehow these illustrations on the covers caught my eye. They seemed so nice and friendly in a way and I decided to loan one home. Actually it was the fifth in the series because I thought that it had the prettiest cover! So much for suspense whether Anne and Gilbert would get together, ha! But from the first page I was hooked, and I have learned so much from Anne and her adventures through the years. Especially how amazing it is to have a lively imagination and how it can help you through tough times. I always feel like I am returning home after a long journey when reading the books. I honestly don't know how my life would have been without them, would I value literature and imagination as high as I do now? Somehow I doubt it. The words are a part of my being now and I have breathed my life into the pages.
And isn't that what great books do?

The Danish cover illustratioins are made by the Danish illustrator Ib Thaning, and they have ever since been some of my favourite covers.
Enjoy!

Anne of Green Gables
 Anne of Avonlea
 Anne of the Island
Anne of Windy Poplars 
 Anne's House of Dreams
 Anne of Ingleside
 Anne - Rainbow Valley
Rilla of Ingleside

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...