Love is not visible to the eyes but to the soul - Shakespeare

Monday 11 February 2013

Sylvia Plath 1932-1963

Plath-2

Today, it is 50 years ago the world lost what would prove to be one of its most significant poets and novelists.
There is such a sadness thinking about how well she wanted to do and her stuggle between literature and family life.
She holds a very special place in my heart, for better or worse, reminding me to believe in myself, trust myself, never to give up. Her diaries have been a source of knowing that I am not utterly alone in this world with these thoughts and aspirations.

I wish I could tell her how big an inspiration she has been to so many here, and how we admire her struggle, and weep for her downfall. It would probably just have been a small consolation, if any to her, that we devour everything from her hand - whether poems or drawings. Because she was also a talented artist in this field.
The drawings below are from a show featuring her unknown works. The details and simplicity of just a pair of shoes both enhance the struggle to free herself of expectations and yet to live up to them at the same time.

The draft of the poem 'The Sting' shows the first draft in along series of corrections - forever trying to get it right.

To me, Sylvia Plath is not just a golden lotus, she is a lioness, and hopefully she has found the rest and the piece she so longed for.

3-17-Plath2.jpg (314511 bytes)

Even amidst fierce flames
the golden lotus can be planted
- Inscription on Sylvia Plath's tombstone

1 comment:

Carole Poirot said...

I think she was a deeply melancholic character who - like many - struggled with the world around her... Lovely post xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...